Easy and Healthy Spinach Soup Recipe
However, to enjoy the flavour, you can cook it well and make different dishes.
You don’t have to eat it raw. You can simply prepare it with chickpea flour or gram flour and top it up with coconut cream to get an aromatic flavour.
The spinach soup is made of wholesome ingredients, which makes it a nutritious soup. It includes leafy greens, which are pretty healthy for the body.
It’s generally preferred during the winter. The piping hot soup is so comforting and healthy!
This recipe is perfect for all those who aren’t fans of spinach.
Here’s an easy and healthy recipe to prepare spinach soup. Make it during winter to extract all the benefits and enjoy the bright flavour.
Easy and Healthy Spinach Soup Recipe
2 cups chopped spinach
¼ cups chopped onions
¼ tsp medium-sized chopped garlic
1 tbsp gram four or chickpea flour
¼ tsp ground cumin
1 bay leaf
2 cups water or vegetable stock
Salt as per taste
2-3 tbsp coconut cream
2-3 pinches crushed black pepper
Total time required: 30 min
- Rinse the spinach in water for some time. Once the gunk is clean, drain off the excess water.
- Chop the spinach leaves and if the stem is tender, you can chop them too.
- Take a pan and heat some oil. Once it gets warm, add 1 bay leaf and leave it for 2-3 seconds.
- Add the chopped garlic and saute until the garlic turns golden brown. Don’t overcook or burn the garlic.
- Keep it at a low flame. Once it turns golden brown, add the onions.
- Saute it until the onions turn soft and translucent.
- Now, add the chopped spinach. Sprinkle some salt and black pepper.
- Add the gram flour or chickpea flour and then mix it well.
- Gently add 2 cups of water and then mix it again.
- Add ground cumin.
- Stir it well and then switch off the flame.
- Keep it aside until it cools off.
- When the mixture gets cool or has become less hot, then take a blender or hand blender and blend the soup mixture well.
- Use caution while blending the soup mixture. The hot mixture can splatter the ingredients everywhere.
- To be on the safe side, either let it cool completely or fill the jar halfway and cover it with a thick folded kitchen towel.
- Remember to remove the bay leaf before blending.
- If the soup becomes too thick after blending, add ¼ cup water and stir well to thin it out.
- Keep the blended soup back on the flame for 2-3 minutes to simmer.
- Check the seasonings of the soup. If required, sprinkle some more salt or pepper
- Top it up with fresh coconut cream and crushed black pepper.
- If you don’t like coconut cream, you can replace it with almond oil or soy milk.
- Voila, your delicious, healthy vegan soup is ready! Serve it hot!
Here are some additional notes that you can consider while preparing the spinach soup.
- Try using fresh or tender spinach. However, you can also use frozen or baby spinach.
- If you’re using frozen spinach, then thaw it. Once the leaves get thawed, crush them and remove the excess water.
- Use the stems only when they are tender. Avoid using them when they are stringy or fibrous.
- Don’t over boil the spinach. Overboiling will reduce its nutritional value and flavour of it.
- To help aromatize the flavours in the soup, consider using olive oil. However, you can prepare it with butter as well.
- The consistency of the soup will be thin. If you want to prepare a thick soup, then you can add some kind of starch to it.
- For starch, you can consider adding potatoes. You can add up to ¼ cup of chopped potatoes to the soup mixture, along with water.
- Wait until the potatoes are cooked through. Then add spinach leaves and simmer until the leaves get wilted.
- If you want a little sweet soup, you can add some carrots to it.
- You can also add cardamom or cloves to get more flavour.
- The soup stays good for 3–4 days in the fridge. However, if you want to store it longer, then store it without coconut cream in the fridge.
- You can also have the soup along with bread croutons.
You can serve the spinach soup for lunch as well as dinner. It’s light and is highly nutritious.
You can also serve it with grilled fish, pork or chicken for dinner.
If you want to have it for lunch, then you can simply serve it alongside a plate of salad to retain all the benefits.
Enjoy the piping hot spinach soup with coconut cream or almond milk!
Featured Image Credits: Pixabay
About the Author
Shristi is a content writer and owner of F and B Recipes and Snazzy Women. When not writing, she can be found reading or trying new recipes.